Rambles Around Knitting Today and Yesterday

Rambles Around Knitting Today and Yesterday

Saturday 4 February 2012

Put a sock in it.

Thinking about what would make a good bag for a sock knitter, I thought it was about time I had a go knitting some socks myself.

Put a sock in it - stop laughing!
Not having any specifically sock yarn to hand I set off with some doubled up, rather sparkly yarn of undetermined fibres from a cone; which I didn’t mind getting wasted if it didn’t produce the finished socks.  By making a tension swatch and a rough lower leg measurement I followed most of James Norbury ‘s generic sock instructions from the good old Odham’s Encyclopedia of Knitting. It was all much simpler than I had imagined.

Undecided about the merits of circular needles compared with double pointers I switched around a bit. The circular needles I currently have are not the greatest but I gradually got into the swing of the “magic loop” however by the end of the second sock I was rather surprised to find that I had made much quicker progress with the double pointers.

Not the most stylish, I will readily admit! - but actually the socks fit remarkable well and look much better on the foot. Any how these will make a great pair of bed socks and they can come camping with me next time we are out in the tent. But next time I should now be able to create a sock pattern for any size with a bit more style.  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete